Thursday, July 24, 2008

Small Praise

I recently finished Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky. It was a brilliantly in depth book. I wrote more notations in it than I've done with any other book and it will guide me in how I conduct things. It's irreplaceable.

That being said, Clay Shirky isn't too much of a writer. It took me a long time to get through it. I'd read it then find myself just staring at a point in book, not absorbing anything. It's not so terrible I wanted to burn it, it's just not that good. The only reason I bring this up is not to insult Shirky (I would be honored to even meet him), but to praise Saul D. Alinsky and his Rules for Radicals.

Alinsky can fucking write. I'm only a couple pages in, but the guy had the ability to make words simply flow. Perhaps I've been reading too many non-fiction books, but this is a really nice change.

I'm sure there will be more to come.

No comments: